Last week I talked about cleansing and provided daily tips and food suggestions based on what I was doing day-by-day to give a real life daily example of what cleansing is like. This weekend I was in Columbus, OH visiting my best friend and one of her housemates asked me if I would help her get her diet back on track as well. While talking with her and my friend this morning it made me remember how much I would love to be a wellness / nutrition coach.. if you have not gathered it from me yet, I love talking about my experiences with healthy food and the vegan lifestyle. I would love to reach more people and offer educated advice and help get their lives back on track. I hope my blog at least gives some of you motivation to do so as well! Sometimes having a blog gives ME the motivation I sometimes think I do not have. As I told them this morning and I will say again… healthy eating is not hard but it really does come down to planning, planning, planning. The days I leave my house without as much as a snack are absolutely the worst food days for me. Insuring that you always have something to eat, whether it be a piece of fruit or a small bag of nuts will greatly decrease your chances of slipping up and eating something on a binge.
Preparing your meals for the week is another great way to get in track with healthy eating. Many of my recipes are easy to make in large batches and freeze, this one is no exception!
Quinoa Sliders are a great make ahead meal that can be used for multiple days and frozen to use later. The recipe was adapted from How Sweet It Is. The Garlic Aioli is a Foodies recipe I got from the Bigg’s grocery store one day walking around. It needs three hours to chill after ingredients are mixed together.
Quinoa Sliders and Garlic Aioli
Quinoa Sliders Ingredients:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 of a small sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 flax egg (1/2 Tbsp milled flax + 2 Tbsp warm water – let set 10 mins)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp high quality cooking oil, I prefer coconut oil
- 6 buns or rolls
- 2 avocados, for topping
- 2 tomatoes, for topping
- 1/2 cup garlic aioli, for topping
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise – I use Grapeseed Veganese
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp dry tarragon
Quinoa Sliders Directions:
- Add quinoa and stock to saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, prepare other ingredients and cook onions until slightly translucent, approx. 5 minutes. Coarsely chop chickpeas
- Place onions, carrots, garlic, panko crumbs, chickpeas to a bowl and mix together. When quinoa is finished cooking at to mixture as well. Add flax eggs (or one regular egg + one egg white) salt, pepper, cayenne and mix well.
- Form into patties, will make about 6 of them.
- Heat half of the oil of choice in a large skillet, add 3 patties, cook until golden brown (5 minutes) and flip over to cook 5 more minutes on the other side.
- Serve with garlic aioli, avocado, tomato and anything else you would enjoy with them!
Garlic Aioli Directions: Whisk all ingredients together. Cover and chill for a minimum of 3 hours before using.
The sliders can also be frozen and used later. I suggest letting them defrost for about an hour in the refrigerator before heating them in the skillet. I also threw these on a large romaine salad with chopped avocado, tomatoes and the garlic aioli. It was heavenly to say the very least!
oh and by the way…
I received some amazing news last week that I just could not wait to share with all of you! I have been accepted to start blogging for Skinny Mom! You will not be seeing posts from me until the beginning of February and don’t worry I will be sure to let you know when they are coming up on the calendar!! If you have not had a chance to take a look at their website yet, I strongly suggest you do! It is a network of awesome mom bloggers giving tips on eating healthy, working out, fashion, and just being awesome parents and raising great families! I am so honored to become a part of their blogging family!!